NS Newsletter 018: 5 January 2006
- perfectly seamless plaid lite 1.10
- softener 1.23 released
- kodak offers free photoshop plugins
- how to use plugin presets
- graphics software news
- signing off
[perfectly seamless plaid lite 1.10]
fresh for the new year, we've taken the wraps off plaid lite 1.10. we're excited about this version for a good reason - the brand new "make seamless" feature. with a single click, plaid lite will automatically choose settings that make your image seamless. no more complicated settings to memorize.
i've been finding the new feature particularly addictive, and i hope you will enjoy it too. with the holidays almost over, hopefully you can find the time to play with plaid lite and design some new seamless plaid backgrounds for your website, or make yourself some plaid email stationary.
plaid lite 1.10 is a free update for all registered plaid lite customers. you can download it directly from the website (see the link below), and there is no need to uninstall your current version. the new installer should upgrade it for you.
[softener 1.23 released]
softener 1.23 is out this week, and fixes a bug that was introduced in softener 1.20. if you've had problems with the preview image not matching the final result, this version should fix it for you.
softener 1.23 is a free update for all registered softener customers. download the trial version from the link below, and it should upgrade your current version when you run the installer.
[kodak offers free photoshop plugins]
for the digital photographers using photoshop - kodak is offering a free copy of one of their photoshop plugins, normally $50 us each. choose from:
- Digital GEM: reduces image noise and grain
- Digital ROC: for color correction and color balance
- Digital SHO: optimizes image exposure
to get the plugins, you'll need to provide your name and email address. you can claim your freebies using the link below. offer expires january 31st, 2006.
(Sorry, link no longer works!)
[how to use plugin presets]
have you ever been confused by presets? ever wondered how to use them with the plugins, but you're not quite sure how? or have you wondered what presets are useful for?
we've found that some of our customers have been confused by how presets work, so we've written a short tutorial about presets. you'll find out how you can use presets to get inspired, how to use them to get the effect you want, and how you can save those perfect settings you find for use later.
got an idea for a tutorial that you'd like to see? let us know by sending us an email at the support address!
[graphics software news]
* shinycore has released a plugin called path styler pro that creates shiny bevel effects.
* photoartist is a standalone program to create artworks that look like paintings from digital photos. it retails for about $59 usd.
* perforce has created a plugin that integrates adobe photoshop with their revision control system. now you can manage multiple revisions of your work without worrying about losing your work or it interfering with your photoshop workflow. (Update 2020: sorry, link no longer works!)
* powerretouche has released a "golden section" plugin, which will generate golden ratios and harmonic divisions on your image, to help with image composition. it appears to be a free download.
* want to make your digital photos look like polaroids? then upload them to your website or photobucket.com, and give the online polaroid-o-nizer a go! just need to type in the url of your photo. (Update 2020: sorry, link no longer works!)
it's 2006 already! have you made any new year's resolutions? or perhaps you've broken them already? i'm still choosing mine.
i've been listening to a lot of songs by dave matthews band lately, in particular a new song called "you might die trying". despite the title, it's a song about the things you always wanted to do but never had the courage to. the quiet intro and opening lines "to change the world / start with one step" make it the perfect wake-up alarm - if you have an mp3 player that you can use as an alarm clock, that is.
wishing you good fortune and all the best for 2006!
.things you never did cos you might die trying.
Get our free Photoshop plugins email newsletter.