NS Newsletter 014: 19 August 2003
- namesuppressed nominated for song of the year
- canada declares that i'm a geek
- graphics and audio news
- new releases - plaid lite, webscriber
- fresh look for ns & syneryder
- kenny speaks procmail, lotus and c#
- comments & feedback
- special newsletter discount
- signing off
[namesuppressed nominated for song of the year]
miss the big news of the year? namesuppressed was nominated in the song of the year 2003 awards run by wami (the wa music industry association). theme from fingers was nominated in the soundtrack / film score / experimental category.
the competition was tough and included leon anon from beaverloop (a popular perth band signed to sony) and johannes luebbers, last year's abc young composer of the year. johannes won the category award for his track "green lantern".
you can still download theme from fingers, read how it came about, and confirm for yourself that this is not a belated april fools joke from the links below.
get fingers: https://namesuppressed.com/ns/downloads.shtml
song history: https://namesuppressed.com/ns/track-fingerstheme.shtml
[canada declares that i'm a geek]
i'm a geek and now all of vancouver knows it. the canadian radio station "99.3 the fox" fm featured the kenny translator on their show "geek of the week" on august 14th. it's a show that features funny or bizarre websites, such as "bushspeak hangman" or panasonic's prototype to use human blood to power electrical devices.
i won't embarrass the others who helped make the kenny translator, even if their names are greg, nigel or simon. check the site credits.
[graphics and audio news]
* harry from the plugin site has released focalblade, a great new photoshop plugin for sharpening photographs precisely and easily. definitely one of the best plugins going round right now.
* syntrillium announced that they are selling their technology assets to adobe. cool edit 2000 & pro are being discontinued, replaced with a windows-only program called adobe audition, due this month.
* adobe also announced that "it didn't make financial sense to support the mac anymore", and ceased development of premiere for the macintosh. this follows a similar move by microsoft, who have stopped development of internet explorer for macintosh.
* nielsen soundscan has started tracking sales of downloadable music for the first time. the first week download charts show the public wants cyndi lauper - her 1983 hit "time after time" has made the top 10. the charts include sales from apple itunes, liquid audio, realnetworks, roxio and musicnet.
* vast (known for the albums "visual audio sensory theater" and "music for people") have released a pre-mix version of their forthcoming album "turquoise" as 10 downloadable mp3 tracks, for the incredibly low price of $2.99. the catch is, they only accept payments via paypal. check for the link on their message boards.
* farewell "mosaic" and say hello to "the lullabies", the new band with april parker, dave bowyer, and some guy i don't know.
[new releases - plaid lite, webscriber]
new software out now from namesuppressed:
* plaid lite lets you create seamless plaids and tiling tartan patterns from any digital image. you can rotate and magnify the plaid, change the patterns and use it to create website backgrounds or picture frames. the response to plaid lite has been phenomenal and it looks set to be the most popular namesuppressed plugin.
did you know that plaid is common in punk circles? or that plaid was banned by the english in 1747 to try and suppress the scottish nationalist uprising? see, plaid isn't "geeky"...
* webscriber is a *deepbreath* "web-based confirmed opt-in mailing list subscriptions manager" that makes it easy to subscribe and unsubscribe from ezmlm mailing lists. namesuppressed uses it to manage the namesuppressed newsletter.
you've probably seen similar systems on yahoo groups or topica - but webscriber is special because it runs on your own server, and it's specially designed to work with the ezmlm system. if you've never heard of ezmlm, webscriber won't be of much interest - but if you're using ezmlm and need to increase subscribers, this is what you need.
webscriber is in use by the best-selling lesbian magazine Curve to manage their large email list, and they've reported increased subscriptions and less support hassles since switching to webscriber. you can visit their site at curvemag.com to see it in action.
[fresh look for ns & syneryder]
if you haven't been to namesuppressed.com in a while, you're in for a surprise. the front page has a fresh new look, everything is easier to find, and you can read all the latest namesuppressed news from the front page.
the syneryder subsite has also been redesigned, with every page now in xhtml 1.1 and css. the result is a darker, spookier experience that is much easier to read and prints well.
[kenny speaks procmail, lotus and c#]
the kenny translator community has been busy as always:
* michiel van slobbe has released kennyspeak scripts for procmail. installing these scripts on your mail server will automatically encrypt and decrypt email messages in kennyspeak. very cool!
* marco simon has developed a kenny translator for lotus notes. the instructions are in german, but it should be easy to work out what to do even if you don't speak or understand german.
* klaus hartke has released "yet another kenny translator implementation" (yakti), a c# version of kenny that will work on windows, linux and freebsd systems with .net or mono installed.
* there's a new downloads page that lists every official version of the kenny translator. with 17 different versions available and more on the way, it's getting crazy... possibly even geeky....
[comments & feedback]
more feedback on softener from the shareware download sites:
* tarl fury at softpile.com said about softener: "i got some really nice effects with this one. easy-to-understand interface, and the price is more than fair. two thumbs up."
* paul's picks awarded softener 5 stars. paul's picks can be quite selective, so i'm quite proud of this!
got some feedback on namesuppressed software, music or opinions? now is your chance to speak up. be as scathing in your criticism as you like, and with your permission i'll publish your responses in the next newsletter.
[special newsletter discount]
don't forget! there's still a few days left to use your discount coupon at the namesuppressed webstore. share it with friends or keep it to yourself, it's your choice. here's the code again:
SORRY! DISCOUNT CODES FOR EMAIL SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!
rumors are flying about a new graphics book featuring new plugins, an animated short film with namesuppressed music, a brand new digital camera magazine, and the world's longest website project coming to an end. what's this about a yellow tab & aqua and cocoa? who is spleeny? which of these are red herrings? stay tuned.
by the way, does anyone know where i can get an electric guitar fixed in perth, australia? my new guitar arrived doa. can anyone help?
.sucking you in like a fisch on a spoon.
Get our free Photoshop plugins email newsletter.